Diary of a Carob Tree
The centennial tree growing on the south side of the property is a carob tree. It is one of nature's mathematical miracles. Every mature seed from the pendulous brown seedpods is identical in weight, hence its use in Arabic Andalusia as a measure for silver and gold, and the word “carat.” Today the carob seed is used in pharmaceuticals, in animal feed, and as a natural alternative to chocolate. Why are we telling you this...? Let me explain.
Location and outside area
Back in 1963, a German gentleman and a French lady fell in love with each other. In order to share their lives together, they had to renounce many very important things in life. Both Mr. Neukirch and Mrs. Driou were enchanted by the area of Nerja and Frigiliana, and decided to build a dream home with sea and mountain views. While searching for the best location, they went up the mountain road to Frigiliana, then unsurfaced and mainly accessed with horses and mules. They checked all the properties, meter after meter; the minute they saw that carob tree, their decision was made. The villa, built in 1965, was the first one to be constructed on the eastern side of the road. It was sold to the current owners, Javier and Rosario, in February 1992.
Javier and Rosario renovated and remodelled the house without changing its very personal style. In 1993 they decided to give the large garden a refresher to make it more accessible so that its splendid character could be fully enjoyed by the guests. Several steps were added to access the different levels of the garden where you will also find a spacious lawn with an abundance of plants and flowers that are native to the region of Axarquía de Malaga and its province. In the back of the house, the pergola with a barbecue became the favourite area of the guests in the evening. The pool was replaced by a larger one (9x4 m and 1.4-1.8 m deep) and is totally private, yet enjoying wonderful panoramic views to the sea on the south side and impressive views to Frigiliana and the Sierra Almijara Natural Park on the north side. A small raised pond with goldfish and aquatic plants was introduced in the garden in perfect harmony with the peace and quietness of the unique location. After three years of blood, sweat, and tears it was finally time to start with the interior of the villa...
Inside and lay-out
Between 1996 and 2000, the house was fully renovated and refurbished by Javier and Rosario, yet maintaining its own character and its very homy feel. If the garden already gives you the impression of coming home, so is it as you take the first step inside through the beautiful wooden arched door. The lounge, with sea and mountain views, is very luminous and offers every detail of comfort: a library with a wide selection of books & catalogues (including many on art), satellite-TV, DVD and radio/CD. A variety of DVDs and CDs are available. A large original painting by a local artist hangs on the dining room wall. Nearly all the pictures in the villa are original works of art. The kitchen, just off the lounge, is fully equipped with a vitro hob, oven, microwave, fridge/freezer, dishwasher, kettle, juicer, toaster, coffee machine, mixer, and iron and ironing board. The washing machine is in a utility room.
On a slightly higher level (3 steps up) are the two large bedrooms and bathrooms. The twin room (with view onto one of the patios in the garden) consists of two single beds—each with a bedside table—a large wardrobe, and an armchair. Opposite the bedroom door is a fully equipped bathroom with a bath+show over, wash basin, WC, bidet, and hairdryer. The master bedroom is spacious and has its own ensuite bathroom with shower, washbasin, and WC. This bedroom is furnished with a double bed with bedside tables, a large wardrobe, a chest of drawers, a dressing table, and an armchair. There are numerous original paintings decorating the walls. The views of the sea and the Frigiliana mountain range from this bedroom are spectacular, especially when you step out through the patio doors onto the master bedroom’s own terrace.
The villa is fitted with smoke detectors and a safe.
How about you? Do you wish to be part of the diary of a carob tree?
- A WiFi Internet connection is available (free of charge).
- Air conditioning is available throughout the house; it is optional at 105 EUR per week.
Interior of the villa
- 2 level villa
- air conditioned living/dining room with television, DVD player and hifi
- fireplace in living room (wood)
- 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms
- satellite antenna
- laundry room with washing machine
- open kitchen with gas hob, electric oven, dishwasher, refrigerator-freezer, coffee machine, toaster and juicer
Bedrooms and bathrooms
- air-conditioned bedroom with double bed
- air-conditioned bedroom with 2 single beds
- en-suite bathroom with single washbasin, shower and toilet
- bathroom with single washbasin, shower and toilet
Exterior of the villa
- enclosed plot
- private pool measuring 6m x 3m and 1,8m deep
- garden with trees and garden furniture with sunbeds
- 2 terraces, of which 1 covered
- outside sitting area and outside dining area
- private parking space
- nearest town Nerja (within 4 kilometers of the villa)
- nearest riverbank or shore Mediterráneo (within 4 kilometers of the villa)
- nearest beach Burriana (within 4 kilometers of the villa)
- nearest port Puerto Deportivo Marina del Este (within 25 kilometers of the villa)
- nearest park Parque Verano azul y Barco Chanquete (within 4 kilometers of the villa)
- nearest airport Málaga-Costa del Sol (AGP) (within 100 kilometers of the villa)
- second nearest airport Federico García Lorca Granada-Jaén ( > 100 kilometers of the villa)
- public transport bus within 2 kilometers of the villa
- smoking not allowed
- pets are not allowed
- The accommodation is very suitable for families with children
Facilities and services included in the rental price of the villa
- internet (WiFi)
- iron and ironing board
- bed linen and towels
Facilities and services at extra charge
Entertainment and leisure activities for your holidays in Nerja, Costa del Sol
- bar (within 1000 meters of the house)
- discotheque, nightclub and promenade (Plaza del Balcón de Europa) (within 5 kilometers of the house)
Sights and culture in Nerja, Costa del Sol
- museum (Museo de Nerja), church (Iglesia de Jesucristo de los Santos), monument (Monumento a los descubridores en Nerja) and architectural building (Fábrica de azúcar de Maro) (within 5 kilometers from the accommodation)
- historic place (Cueva de Nerja) (within 10 kilometers from the accommodation)
- castle (Castillo de La Herradura en Almuñécar) and ruin (Yacimiento Arqueológico Romano en Torrox) (within 25 kilometers from the accommodation)
- hiking, mountainbiking and cycling (within 1000 meters of the villa)
- tennis, horse riding, canoeing, kayaking, fishing and snorkeling (within 5 kilometers of the villa)
- climbing (within 10 kilometers of the villa)
- diving, surfing, waterskiing and windsurfing (within 25 kilometers of the villa)
Please note that for this accommodation a security deposit of € 200,00 is required. For more information please see our Rental Conditions.
This villa is registered with the Junta de Andalucia and provided with an official accommodation identification number that can be obtained upon request.